Pages

Monday, April 9, 2012

The Graces: Aglaia


This is one of the three Greek Graces, Aglaia (or Aglaea) was the goddess of beauty, splendor, glory, magnificence and adornment. She was wife of Hephaistos, the God of metalworking. She and her two (the number varies depending on who you ask) sisters were often seen in the company of Aphrodite, attending to the more important Goddesses.

I decided I wanted to make more 'God' images. Or at least something inhuman, yet still with a trace. I was also really interested in making a series of 3, so I looked for a set of three gods. I decided upon the three Greek Graces, Aglaia, Euphrosyne, and Thalia. But creating Greek goddesses in Greek styled wardrobe is pretty standard fair, and I decided to draw what I wanted. As a Goddess of adornment, I wanted her wearing a lot of 'adornments' but not much else. I wanted the shape of her body to be beauty, but also to be so extreme as to be inhuman, and strange. She does not seek glory, but is it, and willingly offers her sword (forged by her husband) if you have the courage to take it.

I started this as a self project, but all of a sudden I have become swamped with things I have to do. I just hope I'll have time soon to finish her two sisters!

1 comment: