Before I show this, let me explain. I've seen a few people do this before, and I thought it would be fun, that is, remaking an old piece of artwork. And I went back, oh my did I go back. Please enjoy, and I only hope you laugh at least half as hard as I did, because this is truly awful.
I don't know what I was thinking. But it is also interesting to see that I have always had an obsession for pattern and clothes! I just really had no idea what I was doing... Here is a step by step for the remake!
Initial Sketch. I like to keep it really loose, compositional decisions are made here. but otherwise I want it to be freeform
I lay down all the main shapes, after this point, I throw away the sketch, I don't need it anymore
Shape Refinement. Here I break up shapes, like the rocks, the fins, and the sky.
Pattern Placement. Here I just start going crazy with the patterns and gradients. I just keep doing this until I'm done!






I don't know. I think both are good for different reasons. Granted, the older one is less fluid and lacks that something that binds the image together, but it does have a really nice attention to detail. The new version definitely feels more complete and there is detail in the gradients and patterns you used. However, the colors are less vibrant and they don't have the same depth as the first one. That is a matter of personal taste perhaps. I enjoy both of them regardless.
ReplyDelete